Tuesday, April 3, 2012

The Istanbul Experience (Part 2)

Food is no big worry travelling in Turkey.  For one getting halal food is no big issue.  EgyptAir serves all halal food and rice has always been on the menu.  Having rice on the menu is critical to the one particular Melayu totok in the family.  We travelled nights and flying away from the rising sun, so it was dinner after dinner.

The EgyptAir dinner.

Turkish lunch is laden with vegetable and bread with lentil soup.


Else it'll be BBQed chicken or beef.


The Turkish Grand Bazaar.  It boasted of over 4000 shop lots but
 we were  given over an hour to browse the place!
Must understand the rush to get the 'I love Istanbul' T-shirts.
The ceramics on display........

Aiman pride herself with her choice, a pair of hand crafted canvas shoes
 with leather linings.  A delayed purchase after a day of shivering in the cold.

Next stop, the Spice Bazaar.  A variety of Turkish delights on display
apart from the heaps of spices.  Makes you wonder who the consumers
are when nearly every shop lot display nearly about the same thing.

Our final day in Istanbul.  Getting ready for the Bosphorus
cruise enroute to the airport.

Aiman & Abah on the Bosphorus cruise.
Nazim enjoying himself on the cold windy ride.

Relics of the past, the fortresses guarding the old Byzantine empire.

Palaces of previous grandeur.





Ripples in the water signaling the meeting of the Bosphorus with the Tamara Seas.

Nazim was elated to see 'his' Kembara surviving the Turkish winter.

Later build mosques mostly have this vertical character as
land are getting scares within the city limit.


Istanbul is indeed a place to be.  Rich in history for all to enjoy.  Would indeed love a repeat visit should there be sufficient resources.  Erkan recommended that we should plan to spend more time as each locality within the country as one can be very different from the next.  InsyaAllah, that will be our wish.

4 comments:

  1. Reminds me of my trip to Turkey at about the same time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pak Zawi,
      I thought you would recognise the ex-PASIS in the pics.

      Delete
  2. Wan,
    We have aged over 40 years and changed in look. Though his picture on Bhosporus cruise is quite clear, I couldn't identify him. Yes we were close to each other during the hostel (PASIS) days which is confined to 1968 onward as Shaufi created that name to be applied on shirts by stencilling them on using silk screen.
    I remember a few Rantau Panjang mates such as Zahid but not anybody else. Since I am not very mobile due to my inability to drive, I wouldnt be able to go around and ask my other mates in Rantau Panjang to identify your hubby. Please do not sustain this suspense for too long. Give him this number of mine 019 9125647 and contact me on 29th April as I will be in KL by then.
    Meantime I will search for his name in your blog. God willing, I will identify him.
    Convey my salam to him please.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, receeding hairline, hair colour change and the exta pouches everywhere makes all the difference.

      Delete