Thursday, March 29, 2012

Being accountable

I was at the dentist very early this morning, a scheduled routine follow-up visit for my daughter's newly fixed braces.  The wires had been bothering her lately blistering her inner cheeks.  This is a normal reaction as the teeth responded to the treatment.  The job normally took less than 5 minutes.  I had called a day earlier reconfirming the 9:00 am appointment. 

We were made to hang on the filthy stairways for over 10 minutes before the dental clinic finally open the door to admit us.  (If you need to ask, this dentist is highly recommended for brace jobs.  Frankly, I won't be seen coming here should I were to take the location and 'condition' of the clinic).  Before me was a young lady who had been waiting since 8:30 am.  She had gum problems and had difficulty eating.  Poor soul.

The dentist was nowhere to be seen yet.  I registered my daughter and took to a chair with Readers' Digest in hand.  The girl with the gum enquired for the dentist and scooted off when there was no definitive answer from the receptionist.  It was another 10 minutes wait before the receptionist told me to come back in the afternoon as the dentist is not coming in in the morning.  That's it, our waiting in vain.  Why the appointment if you are not to honour it?  I think the concept of an appointment has not really sunk into our system.  The receptionist has nothing more to offer (not even apologies) except saying that the 'boss' just called in with the no show message.  This dentist will have what is in my mind right now the next time I get to see him.  Professionalism to the dogs.  The girl with the gum was indeed smarter.

No comments:

Post a Comment