Thursday, March 29, 2012

Cash cow service

Yet another visit to the medical fraternity.  My daughter is down with flu with a temperature, running nose and coughs.  We drove to a clinic close to home never expecting such a crowd.  No seat was available for the sick, not to mention those accompanying.  After registering the receptionist told us to take a seat.  What seat?  They should be more sensitive than that.  Soon it drawn on to me that the crowd were no sick patients but foreign workers coming for their medical check-ups for their work permits.

I don't understand the rationale.  Not that I have anything against them finding rezeki in our highly endowed country.  But are we not to take in only confirmed healthy workers into the country?  What if after the medicals they are found to be unfit?  Will they be deported after the costs they have incurred?  Will they be treated?  What if they carry highly infectious diseases?  Now we are ranting on TB cases on the rise.

Now back to me getting a seat for my daughter to rest before getting to see the doctor.  Forget the service from the staff.  They are busy attending to their cash cows.  I chose to go inside to a waiting area meant for patients next in-line to see the doctor.  We were there for a while when soon we got a nurse asking what we are waiting for.  Should have answered that I am waiting for lunch!  Of course I am waiting to see the doctor.  I am to sit outside, they said.  'No seats available out there,' I told them (as if they can't see for themselves).  It was only after my reaction that they got the workers to a different waiting zone vacating the seats for local sickies.

We finally got to see the doctor attending to my daughter's complains.  Even my daughter felt that the doctor seemed to be rushing through and writing prescriptions even before my daughter complete her sentence.  A visit to the pharmacist would have saved us the consultation fee.  'Why was the doctor rushing so?', she asked driving home.  MONEY...... was my answer.  Those workers are bringing more per head, so the local sickies are not the cash cows they are looking for.

Makes me wonder what is to come of the country and the services to expected by the locals.

2 comments:

  1. 1984 Mitsubishi Cordia AC Compressor
    I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don't know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sheena,
      Thanks for the visit and welcome. Sorry I missed your comment of yesteryear. Hope it's not too late to make a connection.

      Delete