Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Name Calling

When Oldstock addressed me as Kak Wan, it drawn on to me that with accumulating years, I have gathered roughly equivalent name calls too.  As far as home name goes I was Midah to close relatives.  Don't know how that came about though I addressed myself as Dah when talking to them.  Midah stuck long and fast and I remember the name call to be home around Magrib time together with greatgrandma calling her ducks home.  It went  'di..di..di..di...., Midaaaaahhhh...keleeeek' repeated several times over.  That call signified that I was long overdue for my evening bath and it grew louder should there be no response from me.  Put the blame on the folly of kampung friendship and games we played then for the whole village was our playground.

When it was time for primary school, I was known as Wan Faridah to teachers and friends alike, though a few teachers would address me as adik Wan Ibrahim (sister to Wan Ibrahim).  Having an elder brother in school has its advantages.  Close friends called me Dah for short.  It's the Kelantanese way of addressing, picking up the last syllable as gi for pergi (go).  With yet closer friends we just go by mu (kamu, you) and aku (I).  This went on into secondary school, though we have nicknames by whatever the caller fancy addressing you by, some which may not be even to your liking.  But that was how one was known to the 'world' then.

I moved out of the state for my high school.  Contrary to the Kelantanese, they picked the first of the name syllable.  So I was Farid to my peers and Kak Farid to the juniors.  That Farid is a male name was small matter as it was an all girl boarding school.  Going on into college life the prefix Wan was added on and Wan Farid it was.  Dah remained among close friends from Kelantan.

Going to the States for my further education, our name is indeed confusing to foreigners used to the surname and family name calling.  To solve matters I told them to address me as One (spelt Wan).  It was pretty convenient then and being the only Wan around helped.

Coming back home and appointed to a Serdang posting, I remained as Farid or Wan Farid  to my former school and college peers and Dah to my close Kelantanese friends.  Staff would address me as Cik Wan and Puan Wan when I got married.  Junior colleagues would  address me as Kak Wan.

Then came the time when we have a new generation of staff intake in mid 2000s.  They were the same batch as my children with some of the mothers younger than me.  Some ventured to call me Mama or Ma for short with the officious few retaining the Puan Wan call.  Returning from my Haj trip in early 2002, the prefix Hajjah Wan came by.  All were acceptable.

On the home front, the title heaped too.  New to motherhood with my first born, I wasn't prepared as to how my daughter was to address me.  My step-mom came to the fore with mummy and the name call stuck.  Even my husband came to adopt that call.  Gladly I have now graduated to Mami Tok.

Over the years, I have grown to recognise who is talking to me by the way they address me.  For his age, Oldstock has address me right.

4 comments:

  1. KakOne,
    I maybe older than you but I guess calling you Kak is more of respect than anything else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I accept the honour Pak Zawi, graciously. As mentioned, I most of the time know where to place the age indicator of the person addressing me by the way they address me. Yes the Kak prefix was very indicative of respecfulness especially during those schooling days.

      Delete
  2. Aha! Maka tepatlah pilihan saya untuk menggunakan panggilan Kak Wan itu :-)

    Well, it really is a simple force of habit for me to be addressing an older lady with the `Kak' title... especially after I feel comfortable to interact with her, as is evident from the exchanges of comments in each other's blogs.

    And like Pak Zawi above, I sometimes also address younger ladies using `Kak' too. There was this one incident at my former office, where I called this female colleague by the name of Kak Sue. Another male colleague overheard it and asked, `Kau lagi muda dari Sue ke Dil?'. My answer in jest,`Tak lah... saja nak bagi perasan kat Sue yang dia pun bukan muda sangat lagi...'

    And one final thing, about the Kak Farid bit. Yes, I have a cousin sister with similar name as yours and we call her Kak Farid. No problemo :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tn. Oldstock,
      Another adik is no loss as the family is open to many more.

      One thing about name calling is that it helps pull down the formality barriers. Just like calling the waiter/waitress 'adik' to get their attention rather than the crude 'boy' or snapping fingers call.

      Delete